It's funny how people answer when asked who they are. Some say a name, some say an occupation, some even rep their place of origin or who they are in relationship to someone else... but I guess I am in thought about who I am in the eyes, minds, and hearts of other people when I am not there to represent myself. Many people would say, "O, I don't care what people think of me, I live as I want." And trust that I feel the same way to a degree, but lately that has been changing.
Many of you know that are familiar with me know that I have a very firm foundation in Christ and from a very young age I have experienced God working in and through me often. Not some God that I heard a familiar preacher talking about, I know the love and power of God FOR MYSELF...
I will give an example...
Between the ages of 6 and 12 was when I was the closest to God...my parents had two older children then me...my sis is 8 yrs older and my brother 6 yrs older. They were going through the growing pains associated with early adulthood and such so a lot of the focus, funds, time, and attention was on them.
My parents made sure I was fed and made good grades of course, but besides that...work, ministry, and the other kids....I was a little ignored.
So...believe it or not, I would be in my room talking and singing to God...I remember having bad dreams (as all children do) and waking up asking God to take that madness away...and He did...or when I wanted something that I knew that my parents wouldn't get or couldn't afford...I would ask God for it. He ALWAYS came through. But it makes me wonder how I got out of the practice of praying and leaving my situations, needs, and such at the altar, *that's another blog though*
But when I think of the things people have known me for and the roles others have seen me in, I cannot in good conscience say, "I don't care what others think of me."
That would be a tragedy on my part...because people that have seen me as a off the hook chic, a fornicator, a "keep it real chic" (sayin' nothing in love, at the expense of the feelings of others), a weed/ black and mild smoker or trafficker, a hypocrite, lush, a PMS chic, a quitter, church bench warmer, and even a failure...need to see me as something much more than what was self-created.
They need to see Sharmika the Minister, the Leader, the Encourager, the Witness, the Godly Lyricist, the Advocate of Christ, the Servant, the Woman of Faith, the Diamond in God's Kingdom, the Radical (Radiqk'l), the Nurturer, the Good Steward, the Trustworthy, the Tither, the Philanthropist, the Sister, the Wise, the True Follower of Christ, the Unashamed, the Chosen.... and on and on...I was placed here to care about the image I put forth while professing to be a "Christian." The term is used so loosely that at times I would rather not be associated with the stereotypes carried with it.
So, who am I? Sharmika, follower of Christ, imperfect, yet chosen, striving to be all and everything my father is... WHO ARE YOU?
Many of you know that are familiar with me know that I have a very firm foundation in Christ and from a very young age I have experienced God working in and through me often. Not some God that I heard a familiar preacher talking about, I know the love and power of God FOR MYSELF...
I will give an example...
Between the ages of 6 and 12 was when I was the closest to God...my parents had two older children then me...my sis is 8 yrs older and my brother 6 yrs older. They were going through the growing pains associated with early adulthood and such so a lot of the focus, funds, time, and attention was on them.
My parents made sure I was fed and made good grades of course, but besides that...work, ministry, and the other kids....I was a little ignored.
So...believe it or not, I would be in my room talking and singing to God...I remember having bad dreams (as all children do) and waking up asking God to take that madness away...and He did...or when I wanted something that I knew that my parents wouldn't get or couldn't afford...I would ask God for it. He ALWAYS came through. But it makes me wonder how I got out of the practice of praying and leaving my situations, needs, and such at the altar, *that's another blog though*
But when I think of the things people have known me for and the roles others have seen me in, I cannot in good conscience say, "I don't care what others think of me."
That would be a tragedy on my part...because people that have seen me as a off the hook chic, a fornicator, a "keep it real chic" (sayin' nothing in love, at the expense of the feelings of others), a weed/ black and mild smoker or trafficker, a hypocrite, lush, a PMS chic, a quitter, church bench warmer, and even a failure...need to see me as something much more than what was self-created.
They need to see Sharmika the Minister, the Leader, the Encourager, the Witness, the Godly Lyricist, the Advocate of Christ, the Servant, the Woman of Faith, the Diamond in God's Kingdom, the Radical (Radiqk'l), the Nurturer, the Good Steward, the Trustworthy, the Tither, the Philanthropist, the Sister, the Wise, the True Follower of Christ, the Unashamed, the Chosen.... and on and on...I was placed here to care about the image I put forth while professing to be a "Christian." The term is used so loosely that at times I would rather not be associated with the stereotypes carried with it.
So, who am I? Sharmika, follower of Christ, imperfect, yet chosen, striving to be all and everything my father is... WHO ARE YOU?
1 comment:
hey sis, nice to meet you!!
love ya
Post a Comment